Birthday Shopping Spree Week: Thrifted Halter Dress and Red Blazer

When it comes to thrifting, I have my go-to shops, but I'm always looking for new stores to add to my favorites' list.

My mom had scored some mega deals on collectible Sesame Street characters at Mary's Thrift Store on Auburn Boulevard in Citrus Heights, so on a Thursday, I decided to check it out.

If only I had stopped by the day before. Mary's has day-of-the-week sales, and Wednesdays are half-off everything used in the store. The dresses that piqued my interest weren't covered on Thursday's sale, and I wasn't crazy about the sticker prices. The poor organization of the racks also kept me from taking many items back to the dressing room.

I did, however,  walk away with one purchase for $4 and change.

In warm weather, I'm all about the sundress. And I especially love the teal color and comfortable cotton of this Forever 21 halter. The dress is in like-new condition, and I know I'll get a ton of use out of it.



Goodwill is not a store on my favorites' list because lately I've felt that, as a whole, the chain is a bit overpriced. Some Goodwills are definitely better than others, but I don't go out of my way to visit any one location. 

The Goodwill on Manzanita in Carmichael is minutes from my mom's house, so I stopped by on the way to my family birthday dinner with red on the mind. I browsed the store for a specific-style of red cardigan, a red blazer and red heels.

I found a soft, lightweight red blazer I liked, but didn't love the price tag of $6.99. In my mind, the blazer, which is more on the casual side as it's not structured like a suit blazer, should not have been ticketed above $5. It also has the tiniest imperfection in the lining of the left pocket, which I may or may not be able to fix by ironing.

Despite my reservations about the price, I took it to the register, where I received a happy surprise; it rang up half-off at $3.49. That's more like it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch