Thrifty Thursday: Early Valentine's Day Date

Early Valentine's Day is the way to go. There's less pressure, no crowds and you don't have to pay jacked up prices.

We went out on Thrifty Thursday, which is why this blog is coming a bit late. I was busy with my sweetie all day.

We started the day with presents. Aaron had already received his main gift early: three small Venus flytraps. He has this thing for carnivorous plants. Plus, I'm always saying, "Feeeed me, Seymour!" because the hungrier I get, the harder it is for me to actually find and prepare food.

I also gave him The Essential Weird Al Yankovik. Weird Al was one of his favorite musicians as a kid, and we saw him at the California State Fair a few years back.

On my end, I helped Aaron out by pinning jewelry I liked and by browsing jewelry in store together. Better to be thorough than to be disappointed!

I really wanted a right-hand ring, and not only did I get a sparkly infinity ring, but I also opened a necklace and pair of earrings to match.

He even surprised me with a Gilmore Girls tee on my favorite cobalt blue.

And I still have flowers to look forward to on Saturday.

For our date, we used gift cards from Christmas to finally see Birdman. It was really interesting and different in a refreshing way, and we got to watch it with the entire theater to ourselves.

I'm a big fan of Century Roseville for this reason. I guess it doesn't bode well for the business that it's so empty during the week, but that, the film selections and the laid-back staff keep us coming back, even though we have another Century minutes from our house.

After the film, we had a quick dinner at Olive Garden; we were too stuffed from candy and soda to eat much at the restaurant.

Since it was 9 p.m. on a Thursday night, the restaurant was fairly quiet, we were seated immediately and food arrived promptly. I think our server was also able to be more attentive to our little group of tables than she'd be able to come Saturday, when there's going to be a line out the door. Early Valentine's, it's the best!

For our relaxed date, I kept it simple. Warmth and comfort are my priorities when I go to the movies.

I wore one of my favorite more casual dresses, a black and white polka dot halter top from Thrift Town, paired with my new-to-me teal sweater from the recent $0.99 Thrift Town sale. Thick black leggings, plus my long, dress coat used as a blanket kept me cozy during the film.

The sweater had few imperfections from wear, but nothing needle and thread couldn't fix in a few minutes. I don't mind having to sew a little when the price is right.



My attempt to show off my new jewelry.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch