How to Make a DIY Halloween Wreath with a Bicycle Wheel Rim




Ah! It's the most wonderful time of the year. The time when the leaves change color, the air gets crisper, and I make spooky DIY Halloween decorations with items I find around my house. 

OK, actually, I live in California where it's mostly been warm and sunny, and everything is still green outside. But I did use my free (read: sick all the time because my daughter started preschool and brought home all the viruses) time to make a DIY Halloween wreath with a bicycle wheel rim. 

Why use a bicycle rim for a wreath? Well, in my case it's because my husband is an avid bicyclist. At any given time, I have no idea how many bikes he owns; all I know is that bikes and their parts are all over our garage. At some point, I kept seeing his stripped down bicycle rims lying around and thought, I bet those would work for wreaths!

Personally, I like that a bicycle rim is larger than your standard wreath. I place the wreath on a stucco wall above my porch bench, so the larger size does a great job filling the space that's otherwise hard to decorate.

Fall Bicycle Wheel Wreath with Artificial Flowers


I love making decorative wreaths from bicycle wheels. I've previously made pretty spring and fall wreaths with artificial flowers and ribbons, but this Halloween season, I wanted to change up my porch with a DIY spooky wreath. 


Spring Bicycle Wheel Wreath with Artificial Flowers

 

Halloween Bicycle Wreath Supplies

In searching through our bins of Halloween decorations, I came across a feather boa from an old costume and battery-operated skull lights my husband had picked up from Falling Prices last year. I knew I had the beginnings of my fall Halloween wreath.

Supply List


  • Bicycle rim
  • Feather boa
  • Battery-operated lights
  • Spider webs
  • Zip Ties
  • Hot Glue
  • Spider toy/decoration
Normally, I do not use hot glue or anything permanent on my wreaths. For my DIY spring wreath and DIY fall wreath, I only used zip ties, and have changed up the wreaths year-to-year. But I don't plan on changing this Halloween wreath from a skull and spider wreath, so I went ahead and plugged in that ancient hot glue gun.

 Spider and Skull Wreath for Halloween Porch Decor

DIY Halloween Bicycle Wreath Steps 

These are the simple steps I made up as I went along (plan? who needs a plan?), to create my DIY Halloween bicycle wreath. 
  1. Hot-glue a feather boa to the outside rim of the bicycle wheel. 
  2. Zip-tie battery-operated skull lights around the feather boa and edge of bicycle rim.
  3. Create a circle(ish) of lights at the center of the bicycle rim. I did this because I had just a bit of lights left over once I went all the way around the edge of the bicycle wheel. Attach with zip ties.
  4. Zip-tie the battery pack for the lights at the bottom of the wreath where it is easily accessible. 
  5. Add spider webs all over the wreath by hooking the webs onto the outer zip ties and pulling down to the zip ties at the opposite end.
  6. Attach a sparkly spider from The Dollar Tree to the rim's center hub using hot glue and clear fishing wire for crafts.
  7. Trim zip tie ends.
  8. Hang with fishing wire on porch. I have an eye bolt drilled into the top of the porch wall for this purpose.
Das it. The spider and skull wreath really lights up the wall above my porch bench and draws attention from the street to my festive porch. I used an additional set of skull lights on my porch bench to illuminate my skeleton. This year, I have a witchy skeleton themed porch. I figure that no matter which style of Halloween porch I create in the future, the DIY spider wreath will always fit within the theme.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch