DIY Halloween Apothecary Cabinet of Curiosities



Double, double, toil and trouble! This spooky season, I turned my China cabinet into a Halloween apothecary cabinet. With a hefty dose of Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, some live Bat Wing Balm and Web of Spider, plus a bottle of Poison for good measure, my cabinet of curiosities is ready to conjure up potions and spells.

Apothecary Cabinet Containers

To create my Halloween apothecary cabinet, I focused on filling the containers I already had inside my China cabinet. My collection of vases, candle holders and bottles of sand (from our wedding's sand ceremony and favors from a friend's coastal ceremony) served as my apothecary cabinet containers. 



Free Printable Potion Labels

No good witch wants to confuse her poison potion for her potent potable, so I used free printable potion labels to keep my spells straight. I taped the labels on, but they are generally designed to be printed on sticker paper. I found my free printable apothecary labels at Hale Grafx.comThe Graphics Fairy and Printablee.com. If you see your free printable potion label here and have a more direct link to your personal blog, please let me know.

Halloween Potion Bottle Fillers

I filled my Halloween potion bottles with things I already I had on hand -- artificial flowers, artificial acorns and seeds, fake spider webs and spiders, and real beans (we have so many for sensory play). A trip to The Dollar Tree secured sparkly bat clips for Bat Wing Balm (four in a pack), plastic eyeballs for Eye of Newt (which I glued together in pairs), and best of all, the Apothecary Shoppe sign. 





Cabinet of Curiosities Lighting

To illuminate all the details in my Halloween apothecary cabinet, I used remote-controlled battery-operated candles, which I am obsessed with; I love simply clicking a button and my cabinet of curiosities lights up with a pretty realistic candle glow. 

The cabinet of curiosities lighting sets the mood for ideal Halloween horror movie viewing and ties the otherwise fancy cabinet in with all of the Halloween decorations around my living room.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch