Skip to main content

DIY Halloween Decorations on a Budget


Every Halloween I get a little more crafty and the house looks just a bit more awesome as my outdoor Halloween decorations grow in number and size.

This year, I added the Nightmare Before Christmas Jack Skellington garage, a large garbage bag spider for the porch, new garbage bag ghosts, a duct tape Ghostbusters logo ghost, a garbage bag grim reaper silhouette and tombstones made from political yard signs.

The only outdoor Halloween decorations actually purchased this year included two packs of candy corn lights from Home Depot and a foam skull from the 99 Cent Store at half off for about $9 total.








Here's the rundown of my decorations:


Michael Myers: Old Halloween costume stuffed with furniture foam.

Grim Reaper Silhouette: Black garbage bags. I looked at pictures and then free-handed it with scissors.

Ghostbusters Logo: Duck Tape, cardboard and furniture foam.

Window Lights: Repurposed Christmas lights passed down from Aaron's childhood Christmas decorations.

Spiders and Web Netting: Free from Aaron's old work, originally 99 Cent Store.




Marcus the Carcass: Originally on clearance from Target. After many years of use in the ground and sometimes drilled into a tree, he no longer lights up. I think he gained weight from hibernating in the garage since last Halloween season.

Tombstones: Free from Aaron's old work, originally purchased at 99 Cent Store.

On Halloween I will add candles and my two small pumpkins to light up the graveyard. I plan to just cut spooky eyes into the pumpkins.


Jack Skellington Garage: Duct tape and garbage bags.

Floating Glowing Goblin: 99 Cent Store mask and costume pants, bug zapper.

Lights: Candy corn Halloween lights from Home Depot. (Better deal than Walmart, by the way.)



Skull: 99 Cent Store in the buy one get free Halloween sale.

Flying Monster: 99 Cent Store Mask and gloves, plus college graduation robe and some rods and hangers.

Spiders and Web Netting: Free from Aaron's old work, originally 99 Cent Store.

We really don't like solicitors. They wake us up too early and make the dog bark. I made this no soliciting sign to coordinate with the Halloween decorations. Spray paint and Sharpie.



Tombstones: Upcycled political yard signs.

Skeleton arm: 99 Cent Store.

Skeletal Foot and Hand: Remnants from an old hanging skeleton that fell apart after years of use.

Lights: Repurposed white lights from my backyard.


Ghosts: Garbage bags and duct tape.

Bone Chime: Remnants from the old hanging skeleton.


Large Porch Spider: For the body, I stuffed a black garbage bag about three-quarters full with paper shreddings and secured with a twisty tie. For the face, I stuffed the remaining space full with paper, leaving room to gather the ends of the bag together with a twisty tie. Then I flipped the head back so the gathered end met the body. I hot glued and stapled the gathered end of the head up onto the body.

Finally, I used a combination of hot glue and duct tape to secure the legs. Fabric scraps glued on made the face and black widow markings. 

I wanted my garbage bag spider to really stand out, so I moved a tomato cage from the backyard to the porch. To keep the spider from slipping through the open top, I placed him on a pizza box lid that I covered with scraps of trash bags.


Bench: I used leftover spiderwebs from last year and a dead string of spider lights purchased nearly 10 years ago.



Morgue Door: I kept it simple for the front door to the "morgue" as the sign on the screen indicates. I hung this severed arm that years ago Gizmo decided was a dog toy.

Happy Halloween from my house to yours!





















Comments

  1. Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for such kinda informative post and your post looks very interesting for me. custom website design service

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

I think I'm having the most organized move of my life, and that includes all future moves. I should be; this move is taking forever to actually happen.

The tenants at my future home stopped paying rent over two months ago, and apparently that's how long it can take to evict someone in California. It's a frustrating saga I won't get into it.

I thought I would, however, share some of my tips for an organized move, especially tips on what you can do well in advance of actually moving.

1. Create a box or basket of moving supplies. You want one place to hold packing tape, scissors, your labeling pen, etc. You also want an organizational system for all the pins, pens, screws and batteries you'll come across. (Make sure to separate the working batteries from the dead.)

I like to use little jewelry boxes and small plastic containers to hold these items.


2. Tackle the garage (or wherever your junk space is).

Our garage is tiny (smaller than a standard one-car) and packed. It…

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Michael Myers is our grand finale of decorations, the big kahuna.

The Michael Myers tradition started our first year in our first home.

Aaron had the brilliant idea of stuffing Michael and placing him in my office window, which faced the yard. You had to walk right past the window to get to our door. You couldn't miss Michael; even people driving by on the street would slow to check him out.

On Halloween, Michael amused many and frightened some. A few groups wondered out loud if he was real. Suddenly Michael would move (thanks to Aaron hididng in the office) and screams would ensue.

Eventually, Aaron closed the blinds, quickly un-stuffed Michael, stuffed himself inside and hid behind the front door. I would answer and Aaron would creep out or jump out. More screams.

The next day, we had a knock at our door. A group of kids asked Aaron if he could put the costume back on and chase them. But of course!

The group waited outside, expecting Aaron to come out the front door. He snuck…

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch

I refer to my back porch as my outdoor oasis, not because it's the most beautiful or detailed, but simply because the furniture is comfortable and the atmosphere is peaceful. It's where I go to unwind, relax and read. And now thanks to a recent project to turn a futon into a porch couch, I have the ultimate reading and napping spot.

Last year, I wrote about getting rid of my busted up outdoor furniture, updating the salvageable and buying a futon to to use as my new outdoor couch.

Shortly after I painted the $20 queen-size, solid-wood futon with outdoor white paint, I got busy getting ready for my move and never updated with the final result.



I love it.