Singer-Songwriter Shannon Curtis in My Backyard

Sometimes you just instantly fall in love with a song or musician, and that's how it was for me with Shannon Curtis.

I can't recall exactly the year I first saw her, but I know it was roughly 12 years ago. I remember entering Heritage Festival on the grounds of Gibson Ranch and hearing a pop rock band with a female singer who could actually really sing. That band was Paradigm.

I was immediately hooked. And because I co-ran a local music website and zine that did CD reviews, Paradigm sent us their press kit, so then my broke self had Paradigm music to listen to all the time.

Eventually Paradigm parted ways and Shannon embarked on a solo career in the vein of Norah Jones and Sarah McLachlan. The first time I saw her perform with just a keyboard, I was blown away. I continued to catch shows here and there and do some press when I had a new music column. 

I turned my husband onto Shannon's music, and despite his protests when we first met that he didn't really like female singers, he also became a fan. (Female singers now play heavily in his music rotation, so don't listen to what they say; You can change a man! Or at least his music taste.)

The last few years, Shannon has focused almost exclusively on house concerts, playing in living rooms and backyards across the country. We were privileged to have Shannon play one of her last concerts of the summer in our backyard last Saturday.

Shannon played a very emotional and intimate set for our small crowd of friends and family. She even brought some to tears. Although Aaron and I were disappointed so many friends had to miss out on the concert due to prior commitments, I think everyone who did attend, left impressed. It was truly a special experience.



Shannon and her husband take the time to get to know the guests before the concert.

You can learn more about Shannon and her innovative house concert tours at her website.


Related Posts

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch
Nar, Go National and The Knockoffs at Old Ironsides 
Chalk It Up 2014

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch