No Sew Instructions: Turn a Skirt Into a Window Valance

T


I've always wanted cherry-print curtains in my retro-styled kitchen. My narrow, corner kitchen window, however, does not work with most curtains. Hanging a sheer curtain panel with a tension rod was the best way to let light and airflow in while still providing privacy, but it left the window looking unfinished. I thought a valance would complete the look, but also knew I would either have to make it or cut a normal-sized kitchen valance in half to fit the small space.

Then, while sorting clothes to give to charity, I came across my cherry-print skirt, size 3. Loving the print, but knowing I would likely never fit into the skirt again, I decided to turn into a window valance.

Like many of my DIY projects, I made this one up as I went along, with basically no plan. Because I used sewing pins and skipped the actual sewing, crafting the valance was pretty simply.




Instructions:

Lay the skirt on a flat surface and cut along a side or middle seam of the skirt to open the fabric to one piece. I cut along the seam at the zipper and cut out the zipper.

Hold the fabric up to your window to determine your desired fit. I had more skirt length than I needed for the window. I could have cut the fabric, but I decided to just fold the bottom hem up to my preferred valance length.

Place the skirt front-side down.

Fold over the cut edges of the fabric, to create smooth lines. Fold around the skirt as much as you need to shrink the skirt down to window size.

My skirt had flippy pleats in the front. I pinned those together, as well.

At the top, fold over the fabric to create the head of the valance. Insert pins at the bottom edge of the fold, creating a tunnel for the curtain rod. Or, in my case, where I hid the thumbtacks.

If desired, create swags at the bottom of the valance by pinning up select sections of the skirt. I also added a little bump at the top of my valance, which I regularly debate whether it should stay or not.


Insert thumbtacks through the top fold, so the backs of the thumbtacks are hidden in the tunnel. Don't puncture the front of your valance.

Push thumbtacks into the wall and no one will be the wiser.

Note: I have an abundance of sewing pins, so I just left mine in. I didn't use many. You could also secure your folds with hot glue or double-sided fabric tape.



Like this? You might also like: 
My Childhood Home, Furnished by Craigslist: The Kitchen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch