Happy Batman Day! DIY Joker and Harley Quinn Costumes


To all the superheroes in the Justice League and all the supervillains in the Suicide Squad, Happy Batman Day! In anticipation of Batman Day 2018 on September 15, here's a look back at my DIY Joker and Harley Quinn costumes from Halloweens 2014 and 2015.

DIY Joker and Harley Quinn Couple's Costume Inspiration 

Why so serious? Our costumes came pre-Suicide Squad and Justice League movies, meaning before Joker and Harley Quinn were reduced to Hot Topic cosplay characters. Instead, our DIY Joker and Harley Quinn couple's costume inspiration came from sources including Tim Burton's Batman movie, Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight movie, the original Batman TV series and the Batman Arkham Asylum video game, among others.


Thrifting and Crafting Batman Character Costumes

We used second-hand clothes and basic craft materials to create our Joker and Harley Quinn couple's costume. By thrifting and crafting our Batman character costumes, we spent under $30 in total.

For the Joker costume, we found the shirt, vest, jacket, pants and belt at various thrift stores in Sacramento. (The purple shirt is actually a WNBA Monarch's shirt.)

To assemble my Harley Quinn costume, I purchased the black skirt for $5 at Goodwill and the thigh-high boots for $10 from Craigslist. I already had the corset, which is actually tan and black. I turned it inside out and used hot glue gun to affix Harley's signature red and black pattern in felt. Originally (and I don't recommend this) I used duct tape for my red boot. It looks awesome, but taking off and then reusing a duct-taped-covered boot is an issue. What I do recommend: tights. Duh. I pulled a red tight over the boot. I cut up tights for my legs, finger-less gloves and choker.


Harley Quinn Makeup and Joker Makeup 

Wanna know how I got these scars? I used white liquid Halloween makeup for my face and finished my Harley Quinn makeup with regular eyeshadow, lipstick, eyeliner and mascara. For the Joker Makeup, Aaron used tubes of liquid Halloween makeup. Halloween hair color spray for the hair.

Happy Batman Day! 

How will you celebrate Batman Day 2018? Pick up a free comic? Watch a Batman movie? Dress up?











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch