Skip to main content

Accountability, Take Two: 2015 New Year's Resolutions

As a professional writer, I try to avoid cliches. But sometimes cliches are true, so why try and put it any other way?

Time flies. 

Sure, logically I know time goes by at the same same pace as always. I don't make a habit of denying basic math and science truths. I'm not one of those people.

But I still struggle to wrap my head around the fact that we're halfway into May. The less rational part of my brain (the part that says, "Buy heels. Lots of high heels. You'll wear them, really!") is yelling, "HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?!"

I feel like this year has been sped up, and I don't have enough to show for the nearly five months of my Year of More.

I've been avoiding checking back in with my New Year's resolutions because I haven't committed to them like I know I should.

Everyday life seems to get in the way of tackling new challenges and finding time for people, places and things out of the ordinary.

I know, I know. If I want a better year, I have to put in the effort. I will try harder.

I held myself accountable for my first five resolutions in April, and now it's time to do the same for the rest of the list.


Progress on Resolutions Six Through Ten

6. The sixth goal was looming over my head without much progress for too long. I resolved to demand of myself professionally. To that end, I knew I had to spend money to make money. I needed a new computer. I don't have that kind of money lying around, but I do have lots of space on my credit cards and a constant pile of zero percent interest offers arriving in the mail. So after much debate, I used a zero percent offer, and now I have a fast, good quality laptop for the first time in years. Debt: It's the American way.

Working from my new laptop has allowed me to completely revamp my professional website and especially focus on updating my portfolio. Having a reliable, fast, Windows-based system (as opposed to a slower, outdated Linux system I knew zilch about) has also afforded me the confidence to go for new gigs and also to rejoin a writer marketplace I previously used to connect with clients for guaranteed, no-hassle payments. No hassle = so good.

I like this whole, modern technology thing so much that I might even get a smart phone. Every day I'm surprised when I wake up and -- assuming I charged it all night -- my old texting cell still powers on.

7. "Live more, get out of the house and do more" probably sounds like a simple goal to most, but my life is not typical. Between my health problems, my husband's disabling health problems, and our limited resources as a result of these, doing more is a challenge. I'm happy when my husband stays awake through our free Redbox rental.

Still, I did treat myself to a special 31st birthday gift. Aaron took me to the Sacramento Ballet's production of Swan Lake. For less than $20 a ticket, we had very decent orchestra seats from which to view the stunning performance. It was truly memorable, and I love any excuse to actually use one of those pretty dresses hanging in my second closet.

Although 2015 hasn't lived up to my "live more" mantra, summer always opens up more memory-making opportunities. Warm weather means more low-cost and free concerts, festivals and art events.

I have several favorite bands and singers on my June calendar including Belinda Carlisle, Mr. T Experience and Kelly Clarkson! Be still, my eclectic-music-loving heart.

And this Friday is the 20th anniversary show of a band near and dear to my heart, The Brodys. I'm going to party like it's 1999. Seriously. That was the year I first saw the band, and my life was forever changed.

8. Nerd alert. I've been spending my nights playing online geography games to rectify a serious gap in my knowledge bank. And dang it, I'm proud of myself. I was slow to start on my study more goal, but now I can fill out a map of Europe within seconds and name the capitals, too. Plus, with my new computer, I'm back to playing trivia games to further broaden my knowledge ... and kick some online butt.

9. My ninth objective was to pray more, and that's been an easy one. I have what some would call a bleeding liberal heart, so praying more has just come naturally with all the crisis in America coupled with the ignorant and ugly comments I see in response on Facebook.

10. Lastly, I resolved to romance more. For a non-biased progress report, you'd have to ask Aaron, but his memory is so bad that he'd probably just refer you back to me for confirmation. Final answer: Passing grade.


Intermission at Swan Lake


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Tips for Packing Early for a Move

I think I'm having the most organized move of my life, and that includes all future moves. I should be; this move is taking forever to actually happen.

The tenants at my future home stopped paying rent over two months ago, and apparently that's how long it can take to evict someone in California. It's a frustrating saga I won't get into it.

I thought I would, however, share some of my tips for an organized move, especially tips on what you can do well in advance of actually moving.

1. Create a box or basket of moving supplies. You want one place to hold packing tape, scissors, your labeling pen, etc. You also want an organizational system for all the pins, pens, screws and batteries you'll come across. (Make sure to separate the working batteries from the dead.)

I like to use little jewelry boxes and small plastic containers to hold these items.


2. Tackle the garage (or wherever your junk space is).

Our garage is tiny (smaller than a standard one-car) and packed. It…

Halloween Decorations: How to Stuff a Life-Size Michael Myers

Michael Myers is our grand finale of decorations, the big kahuna.

The Michael Myers tradition started our first year in our first home.

Aaron had the brilliant idea of stuffing Michael and placing him in my office window, which faced the yard. You had to walk right past the window to get to our door. You couldn't miss Michael; even people driving by on the street would slow to check him out.

On Halloween, Michael amused many and frightened some. A few groups wondered out loud if he was real. Suddenly Michael would move (thanks to Aaron hididng in the office) and screams would ensue.

Eventually, Aaron closed the blinds, quickly un-stuffed Michael, stuffed himself inside and hid behind the front door. I would answer and Aaron would creep out or jump out. More screams.

The next day, we had a knock at our door. A group of kids asked Aaron if he could put the costume back on and chase them. But of course!

The group waited outside, expecting Aaron to come out the front door. He snuck…

Outdoor Oasis: How to Turn a Futon into a Porch Couch

I refer to my back porch as my outdoor oasis, not because it's the most beautiful or detailed, but simply because the furniture is comfortable and the atmosphere is peaceful. It's where I go to unwind, relax and read. And now thanks to a recent project to turn a futon into a porch couch, I have the ultimate reading and napping spot.

Last year, I wrote about getting rid of my busted up outdoor furniture, updating the salvageable and buying a futon to to use as my new outdoor couch.

Shortly after I painted the $20 queen-size, solid-wood futon with outdoor white paint, I got busy getting ready for my move and never updated with the final result.



I love it.