New Year's Resolutions 2015: More, More, More

2014 was not the best year. It wasn't the worst I've faced, but with so many international and national crisis, plus a hard family crisis losing a niece to suicide, not to mention watching my husband struggle daily with his health, 2014 certainly fell in the good riddance pile. 2015 has to be better. Or at least, I resolve to do my best to make it better. And thus, here are my 2015 resolutions, keyword: MORE.


1. Walk the dog more. Goal: 5 days a week. I've only made it 3 days thus far this new year, so as much as I'd like to aim for 7 days a week, I need to be realistic with the weather, my health and my time.

2. Read more. I didn't keep track of what I read last year, but my goal for this year is 20 new books. As part of this resolution, I want to finish Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, which I read here and there for about half of last year.

3. Blog more. I'm going to start small with a goal of one post per week. I figure if I start small, I might actually stick with it.

4. Beautify more. I resolve to put a little more effort into my appearance. In one way it's good that on a normal day I really don't care if I leave the house without doing anything with my hair or putting on makeup. When I was younger, I thought mascara was a daily necessity, but my husband finally drilled it into my head that I don't need makeup. On the other hand, I could stand to try a little harder, look a little cuter. And that includes putting more effort into taking better care of my skin, especially now that I'm in my 30s. A little more pretty and a little less grubby might just brighten my days.

5. Give more. Hopefully I can write this without sounding like a humble brag, but in all honestly, when it comes to goods and finances, my husband and I give generously. But when it comes to my time, my service, I haven't been so giving lately. Most of my life, I volunteered my time and talents, and I need to get back to that.

6. Demand more of myself, professionally. I've been really lucky in that most of the gigs -- whether for a private client or a well-known publication -- I've pitched for, applied for, I've received. But, and it's a big one, I haven't tried for nearly enough, and lately I've been doing a lot of for-the-money, I-don't-care-what-I'm-writing-about gigs and that needs to change. I need to find my passion for writing again; write about more interesting subjects.

7. Live more. Get out of the house more. Try new things. Try old favorites again. Hang out with friends more. Maybe even travel more. Have more fun in life.

8. Study more. I want to have a more well-rounded knowledge bank, and there are definitely some areas in which I'm lacking. Geography, being one. I've already started studying up a little on world geography by doing a map puzzle, but I need to continue studying subjects I may not be that interested in, but should learn about, nonetheless.

9. Pray more. That one's pretty self-explanatory.

10. Romance more. After 10 years of couplehood, I've gotten a little lazy, as has he. I could linger in that kiss a little longer, cuddle more often, definitely fart less around him.

Comments